Come continue the discussion about data privacy, how we should define it, and review last month’s member input.
Our March meeting, Privacy: Billion-Dollar Companies Built on YOU, left us with great input and new perspectives from members and attendees. This months discussion will be a continuation focused on the following three areas:
- As a group, arrive at a widely embraced definition of Privacy
- Share 9 Key Components/Categories around privacy
- Show how members’ HH votes mapped to the IFTBOH ‘Opportunity Quadrant’
As a refresher from last months meeting:
Privacy – a loaded term open to varying scope and definition, yet evoking a very specific emotional response in most of us when we think about our own privacy, the associated rights we expect, and the risks we worry about.
Be it wanting ‘connectedness’ via social media, the growing ubiquity of voice assistant apps (they’re always on and monitoring our utterances) and IoT devices, or algorithms that assimilate our every click and swipe to deliver optimized media and shopping recommendations, consumers are trading privacy for convenience.
In the established ‘give-to-get’ model between billion-dollar companies and consumers, the typical consumer does not have true transparency/understanding of how their personal data is being used and exchanged, let alone know their rights and options regarding their personal data. Further, is this data truly being anonymized (cannot be traced back to real-world individuals) and protected from meddling nation-states and bad actors?
As technology leaders, what is our fiduciary responsibility? What could our role be in both giving consumers more control, while driving the industry to better protect their information?
- Present privacy clause, rules of engagement, and the code of ethics: 5-10 min
- Roundtable check-in: 10-20 min
- Meeting Recap: 5-10 min
- Group Presentation: 30-40 min
- Wrap Up: 5 min
- Shmuel Silverman, Founder & CEO at Multi-Innovation and Veracity-Labs
- Alex Rayter, Principle at Phoenix 2.0
- Chris Clausen, Founder & CEO at Alegria Life Innovations
- Axel Kloth, Founder & CTO at Axiado
- Benjamin Levy, Co-Founder & General Partner at BootstrapLabs
- Shawn Flynn, Principal at Global Capital Markets and Head of Biz Dev Techcode-US
- Steven Stupp, Co-Founder & CEO at ExSano
- Nicole Borsian, Technology Analyst at Multi-Innovation